Friday, July 31, 2015

....introductions

Am I new to writing, blogging?  Definitely not.  Several years back when my boys were much younger, I had another blog that I somehow managed to log about five-hundred entries in.  It was also a private blog and I had about seven readers that I had added.  Some things on that blog were deeply personal and I debated on just making that blog public (after some editing, of course) and adding to it, but in the end I just decided to start fresh with this one.

So, with that said, I'm Lori, an almost 40 (gasp!) year old mom of two boys from the Upstate of South Carolina.  Our lives are crazy busy, but in this day and age, whose aren't?  Up until this past school year both of my boys were homeschooled.  Due to a situation that arose with school sports and zoning issues, we opted to send our oldest to 7th grade in public school.  Our super social 4th grader followed suit.  (They are both returning to homeschooling again this school year, which is another story for another day.) Hunter, my oldest son, is 13 and plays baseball pretty much year round.  He plays on a local travel baseball team as well as school baseball.  Dalton, who will be 11 in about a week, loves music and art.  He plays the piano by ear, not like Liberace, but he can listen to any song and pick out most of it with trial and error.  He has a beautiful voice and such a sweet spirit.

In addition to homeschooling and baseball, we love the water and we spend a part of most every day from April to September at the lake, pool, or river. I started making hair bows for my niece when she was an infant and what started out small turned out to be a little more than I bargained for.  I recruited my sister's help and together we started Purple Princess Boutique two years ago and our Facebook page has over 1,100 "likes."  My husband plants a garden in the spring as if we are a small farm, so I spend a lot of my summer time in the kitchen making spaghetti sauce, soup, salsa...and putting away creamed corn, corn on the cob, green beans, okra, squash, bell peppers, etc!  I get sick of it, no doubt, but it is really nice to be able to grab something from the deep freezer and put a meal together.

I have just recently started planning meals for two weeks at a time and actually doing more with the recipes I pin on Pinterest than just pinning them!  If time allows, I'm planning to document them in a video, like the one I did tonight on "Beef Tips with Broccoli and Beef Flavored Rice."  (And please excuse my little redneck children...we had been at the lake all day and they came straight in and went outside to play.  Also, overlook the fact that Dalton referred to the broccoli with the word "puke."  Bless it, he did have a sick stomach a couple of months back in which he had eaten broccoli just before..)



If the video interests you enough to want to make the dish, here is a link to the recipe on Pinterest.

I find that I am quite random, so I hope this introduction hasn't bounced around too much!  In reflecting on the quote at the top of this entry, the main reason I blog is to be able to share a tidbit of our lives, not just for you, but for me to reflect on as time passes on.  I want to capture memories and moments and be able to read something that takes me back.  Thanks for reading, and if you have a blog, make sure to leave me a link in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment